Pizza is a favorite dish of many people around the world. It is also one of the most caloric and fatty foods. Nevertheless, you can opt for healthier pizzas.
For starters, you should remember that pizza is not just dough, sauce, and cheese; it is also a multitude of ingredients that can be added. There are some ingredients that should be avoided to make pizza less caloric and healthier:
1. Cheese is one of the main ingredients that is high in fat and calories. If you want to make a healthier pizza, use less cheese or choose low-fat cheeses such as mozzarella, feta, fresh cheese.
2. Meat – Pepperoni, salami and other meats are high in fat and sodium, which can lead to high blood pressure, heart disease and more. If you want to add meat, beef, chicken, turkey or shrimp are preferred.
3. Sauce – many pizza sauces are high in sugar, salt and fat. You can make your own sauce using fresh tomatoes, spices, garlic and onions.
4. Sweet foods – Pineapple and other fruits that are added to pizza can be unhealthy because they contain a lot of sugar. If you want to add fruit to your pizza, use fresh fruit instead of canned fruit.
Now that you know which ingredients to avoid, let’s look at some types of pizzas that are considered healthier:
1. Thin-dough pizza. The dough contains fewer calories and fats than thick dough.
2. Pizza with vegetables. Vegetables contain few calories but are rich in vitamins and minerals. You can use eggplant, peppers, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, asparagus.
3. Seafood pizza. Seafood is low in fat but rich in protein and micronutrients.
4. Pizza with lactose-free cheese. Cheese is high in fat and calories, but lactose-free cheese contains less fat than regular cheese.
Cooking a healthy pizza is easy. You can use fresh vegetables, seafood and lactose-free cheese to create delicious and healthier pizzas. It’s also worth remembering that the caloric content of a pizza can depend on the serving size and the amount of ingredients added, so watch the serving size and amount of ingredients to make your pizza even healthier.