Pizza sauce is a key ingredient that can make or break a pizza. While store-bought pizza sauce is convenient, making your own homemade pizza sauce can take your pizza to the next level. In this article, we’ll look at some tips and techniques for making the best homemade pizza sauce and give you a delicious recipe to try at home.
The first step in making homemade pizza sauce is choosing the right tomatoes. San Marzano tomatoes are widely considered the best for pizza sauce because they have a sweeter, less acidic flavour than other varieties. If you can’t find San Marzano tomatoes, look for tinned tomatoes labelled ‘Italian-style’ or ‘for sauce’.
Once you’ve got your tomatoes, it’s time to make the sauce. This article describes one way to make a great pizza sauce.
Sauces are an essential part of many dishes, adding flavour, texture and complexity to a meal. In addition to pizza sauce, there are many other sauces that can be used to enhance the flavour of your favourite foods. In this article, we’ll look at some of the most popular sauces and how to use them.
- Tomato Sauce: Tomato sauce is a versatile sauce that can be used in many different dishes, from pasta to pizza to meatballs. It is typically made with tomatoes, garlic, onion, and herbs such as basil and oregano.
- Alfredo Sauce: Alfredo sauce is a rich and creamy sauce made with butter, cream, and Parmesan cheese. It’s often served with pasta dishes such as fettuccine Alfredo.
- Pesto Sauce: Pesto sauce is a flavorful sauce made with fresh basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil. It’s often served with pasta or used as a spread on sandwiches.
- Barbecue Sauce: Barbecue sauce is a sweet and tangy sauce that is typically used to flavor grilled or smoked meats. It’s made with a base of tomato sauce or ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, and spices such as paprika and cumin.
- Hollandaise Sauce: Hollandaise sauce is a rich and buttery sauce made with egg yolks, butter, and lemon juice. It’s often served with eggs Benedict or as a topping for vegetables such as asparagus.
- Salsa: Salsa is a spicy sauce made with tomatoes, onions, jalapeno peppers, and cilantro. It’s often served as a dip with tortilla chips or as a topping for tacos and burritos.
- Soy Sauce: Soy sauce is a salty and savory sauce made from fermented soybeans and wheat. It’s often used in Asian cuisine to flavor dishes such as stir-fries and sushi.
These are just a few of the many sauces that can be used to enhance the flavour of your favourite foods. Whether you’re looking for a creamy, tangy or spicy sauce, there’s a sauce to suit every taste and preference. Experiment with different sauces and find the ones that work best with your favourite dishes.
- 1 28oz tin of San Marzano or Italian-style tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
Drain the tomatoes and crush them by hand or in a food processor. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
Add the crushed tomatoes to the saucepan, along with the oregano, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes (if using).
Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and the flavours have melded.
Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
This recipe makes enough sauce for 2-3 large pizzas. If you have leftover sauce, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to three months.
While this recipe is a great starting point, feel free to experiment with different herbs and spices to make the sauce your own. Some other ingredients you might consider adding are fresh basil, thyme or fennel seeds.
Homemade pizza sauce is a delicious and easy way to up your pizza game. By using good quality tomatoes and a few simple ingredients, you can create a sauce that is bursting with flavour and perfect for any pizza. Try this recipe and enjoy the delicious taste of homemade pizza sauce!